Fredric I. Smilen, O.D.
Dr. Smilen was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York. He is a 1986 graduate of the State University of New York at Binghamton. He was recognized as a Phi Beta Kappa student in his junior year, only one of seven in the entire junior class, and was a recipient of the New York State Regents Scholarship. He graduated from the State University of New York, State College of Optometry in 1990 and completed an internship studying visual rehabilitation for those suffering from debilitating eye diseases in December 1990. He was cited as an outstanding clinician by the National Optometric Honor Society and was awarded the New York State Optometric Scholarship. He has received 2 board certifications in the diagnosis and treatment of eye disease and has special interest in community service initiatives.
Dr. Smilen began his career in Queens, NY in January 1991. After one year he decided to leave NYC and practice in White Plains, NY and Trumbull, CT. In May of 1997 he opened a practice in Stamford, CT to which he has since dedicated himself full-time. Dr. Smilen is bilingual (English-Spanish) which helps the practice serve the needs of the greater Stamford area.
In addition to his practice, Dr. Smilen has been a consultant for Childsight Connecticut, a division of Helen Keller International since September 2005. The program targets the inner city youth of Bridgeport, New Haven, Hartford and New London. Its mission is to identify students in grades 3-8 in need of eyeglasses yet who are unable to obtain them. Once identified, Dr. Smilen and a team of Childsight technicians coordinate with the school nurses and principals to provide free eye exams in the school. When needed, eyeglasses are provided free of charge by this privately funded program.
Dr. Smilen was appointed to the staff of TLC Laser Eye Center, Fairfield in February of 2010. His responsibilities include pre and post operative surgical evaluations for laser vision correction, surgical planning with the centers surgeons as well as supervising standard operating procedures at the center. His office is currently affiliated with the area's top ophthalmic surgeons, should referrals be necessary.
- Helen Keller Vision Services for the Blind, Internship, Brooklyn and Hempstead, NY, December 1990
- State University of New York, State College of Optometry, O.D., New York City, May 1990
- State University of New York at Binghamton, BS Biology, May 1986
Accomplishments and Recognitions
- New York State Regents Scholarship
- Phi Beta Kappa
- National Dean's List
- Who's Who
- New York State Optometric Scholarship
- Beta Sigma Kappa, National Optometric Honor Society
- International Board of Examiners in Optometry, treatment and management of ocular disease, June 1994
- Illinois College of Optometry, advanced medical management of eye disease, February 1998
- New England Retina Associates, Old Greenwich
- TLC Laser Eye Centers, White Plains, NY and Fairfield, CT